[Cryptography] who cares about actual randomness?

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Wed Feb 5 04:11:09 EST 2014

In the context of /dev/random versus /dev/urandom,
on 02/04/2014 11:48 PM, ianG wrote:

> It was a hard lesson to learn I think.  I recall being quite angry when
> FreeBSD tied them together, for years even.
>
> Now that hindsight is possible, one can look at the results.  Did
> FreeBSD ever find an application that had a genuine need for entropy
> rather than unguessable numbers?

How about you and me get together for a nice friendly
game of poker.

I'll bring the cards.  I'll bring several decks, so we can
use a fresh deck for each hand.  This saves time, because
they're already shuffled, using my favorite PRNG.  The PRNG
is strong enough to make it computationally infeasible for
you to find any non-random pattern in the cards.