[Cryptography] Mac OS 10.7.5 Random Numbers

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Feb 3 00:44:10 EST 2014

On 2/2/14 at 9:34 PM, agr at me.com (Arnold Reinhold) wrote:

>Based on the Darwin source code posted at the xnu project,
>Apple uses the SHA1 version of Yarrow with the 1999 source code
>from Counterpane essentially unchanged. This give them a
>160-bit secret state. An obvious improvement would be to switch
>to SHA2 or SHA3 with a 256 or 512 bit state, but the Apple
>source contains this warning:
>
>"THIS FILE IS NEEDED TO PASS FIPS ACCEPTANCE FOR THE RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR.
>IF YOU ALTER IT IN ANY WAY, WE WILL NEED TO GO THOUGH FIPS ACCEPTANCE AGAIN,
>AN OPERATION THAT IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING. IN OTHER WORDS,
>DON'T MESS WITH THIS FILE."

Adding yet more evidence that FIPS standards work against
improved security. I wonder how much NSA advice had to do with
this situation.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Privacy is dead, get over    | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | it.                          | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |              - Scott McNealy | Los Gatos,
CA 95032