[Cryptography] cheap sources of entropy

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun Feb 2 06:40:01 EST 2014

On Feb 2, 2014, at 1:31 AM, James A. Donald wrote:
> The hypervisor is going to switch a process out when it wants data that is not yet available, rather than switching it on a clock.
>
> If it switches a process in when data is available, rather than switching on a clock, turbulence is going to show up, even if that disk is on a network on the other side of the data center.
You keep saying that as if you know it, while others say "not so" and cite evidence.

There's no point in discussing this any further:  Those who say "not so" would (a) have a great deal of difficulty proving a negative; (b) have little interest in (in our opinion) wasting our time looking for something that isn't there.  So it's on you:  If you feel such variations will survive - prove it!  The techniques were published years ago, and are not particularly difficult or complex.  A VM to which you have root access, and virtual disks of different apparent sizes and speeds, are readily available for minimal cost from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and many others.  Have at it!

                                                        -- Jerry