[Cryptography] GHCQ Penetration of Belgacom

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sun Dec 28 08:46:45 EST 2014

 > Of course, we can't know if lower-abstraction-level exploits are
 > being mounted today - but are so well hidden that we never detect
 > them.  But the exist ence of state-of-the-art attack mechanisms
 > like Stuxnet and Darkhotel - none of which go deeper than the OS
 > - argues that if lower-level attacks are being mounted, they are
 > being mounted by the most sophisticated parties in extremely unusual
 > and specialized circumstances.

So, what should one assume w.r.t. infrastructure, e.g., should some
level of the military-industrial complex plan as if all the biggest
Cisco backbone routers contain an intentionally placed sensitivity
to a kill packet?  What would such a plan involve if not alternatives
to the Internet?

One might as well ask why we bother tracking incoming asteroids...

--dan