[Cryptography] Cryptonomicon and Solitaire

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Dec 27 13:34:58 EST 2014

I've just finished reading Stephenson's book (although a few things were
left in the air, the discussion of which would be massively OT), and I'm
still baffled by Solitaire, despite reading Schneier and critics.

It seems to be a sort of a self-generated OTP, with some transposition
thrown in for good measure; how else could the three-way cut with the
jokers be explained, for example?  Bruce himself regards it as strong
albeit slow, but to quote Mandy Rice-Davies (deceased, alas), he would say
that, wouldn't he...

Speaking of jokers, I have never seen a deck where the two jokers were
*not* the same, and as a kid I used to play those "spot the difference"
games (and still do).  Perhaps my eyesight is worse than I thought, so
where exactly is this "star"?  Naturally, I don't feel like marking them,
but the only brand that seems to be available in Australia is "Queen's
Slipper".

If ever I saw two jokers that were *not* the same, I'd be checking the
backs of all cards damned carefully...

Assume I'm a CompSci/Maths graduate, with an interest in crypto.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)