[Cryptography] GHCQ Penetration of Belgacom

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Tue Dec 23 08:41:45 EST 2014

On 22 Dec 2014 14:54 +0000, from iang at iang.org (ianG):
> When I was young enough to be a uni student there was a lot of
> research into hardware reliability and the notion of having
> alternate hardware implementations vote on results.  I though it all
> a bit of a woftam, but I wonder to what extent this research was
> encouraged by the knowledge that these sorts of attacks could be
> practical threats?

I believe that (multiple independent systems voting on what is to
become the final result) is done fairly regularly for anything
semi-critical in aviation, at least. There, however, it's more about
reliability in the face of random errors or malfunctions than against
a determined, intelligent attacker. And of course even that doesn't
protect from anywhere near the full spectre of possible malfunctions.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
OpenPGP B501AC6429EF4514 https://michael.kjorling.se/public-keys/pgp