[Cryptography] GHCQ Penetration of Belgacom

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Dec 19 23:41:24 EST 2014

On 12/19/2014 02:24 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> John Denker <jsd at av8n.com> writes:

>> Free-and-fair trade is generally a good thing.  When trade is disrupted by
>> tariffs -- OR BY LACK OF TRUST -- everybody suffers.
>
> There's a more empirical argument for why this is a bad thing: What the OP is
> describing is what's known as a fortress economy.  A notable current example
> of a fortress economy is North Korea.  Past examples are Romania under
> Ceausescu and, further back, the Central Powers during WWI.

Okay, you're right.  It's a stupid idea, and it would cripple
the hi-tech economy.

Now, propose ANY other idea that will convince governments that
they have more to lose than to gain by compromising security at
the factory in the production of network infrastructure.

I'm listening.  I'll withdraw my support for the stupid idea the
minute I hear something even a single millidumb *less* stupid
which would actually work.

				Bear