[Cryptography] GHCQ Penetration of Belgacom

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Fri Dec 19 14:20:55 EST 2014

On 12/18/2014 11:53 AM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
>> I would fully support a UN treaty whose signers agree to charge
>> at least a 100% tariff on all imports of chips, routers, switches,
>> and computers. And probably operating systems too while we're at
>> it, even though that's a huge moneymaker for the US.

> What it would actually guarantee is the complete collapse of high tech.

You got any proposals for convincing governments to at least try
to resist sabotaging the security of network infrastructure?
I'm listening.

> This sort of stuff is jingoist nonsense.

No, it would be jingoist if it promoted one nation at the expense
of all others.  It doesn't.  My point is that EVERYBODY should
have no reason to compromise the security of their products. I
concentrated on nations for the sole reason that when someone
wants to make secure hardware, their government (ie, the nation
state in which they work) is the only power that can (and
evidently does) legally forbid them from doing so.

Governments, by sabotaging infrastructure at production, have in
fact made themselves into the primary security threat facing
citizens all over the world.

				Bear