[Cryptography] OneRNG kickstarter project looking for donations

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Dec 18 18:39:05 EST 2014

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014, Ray Dillinger wrote:

> In fact it is known that they have done so - but as far as can be told
> from the Snowden papers this only happens as part of TAO (Tailored
> Access Operations).  And TAO is used only as a last resort - when
> there is a *specific* target whose information they have a pressing
> need to get for some very specific reason, but whose computers they
> can't otherwise break into.
>
> TAO requires deploying agents in the field to get to single targets,
> so it is VASTLY too risky and expensive for the kind of ubiquitous
> surveillance that constitutes the threat for ordinary users.

memory fades, but as I recall one of the TOR team of the EFF
had a new laptop from Dell's Asian point of dispatch make a
'dogleg stop' at Langley for a day before delivery in SoCAl
per UPS tracking records ...

per the popular press and self-reporting, fwiw, but such an
approach is riskless and affordable

-- Russ herrold