[Cryptography] Any opinions on keybase.io?

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Mon Dec 15 20:11:15 EST 2014

From: cryptography [mailto:cryptography-bounces+dennis.hamilton=acm.org at metzdowd.com] On Behalf Of John Ioannidis
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 15:28
To: cryptography mailing list
Subject: [Cryptography] Any opinions on keybase.io?

I just found out about it, and judging by the use of a gray font and cutesy pictures on their website, I'm already prejudiced against it.

<orcnote>
     It works just fine.  Tim Bray has published some posts about how he made use of it.

Each keybase user demonstrates that they possess the private PGP key that encrypts a claim that they provide.  One can then demonstrate other claims by posting signed items in places where that demonstrates the signer has authority of that place, whether a twitter account, a GitHub account, web sites, and other cases.  You can also have web-of-trust certifications of the public key you give keybase.io to use and provide on your keybase.io page.  I did that, and I also had the User IDs in that key confirmed with the PGP Global Directory service.

Personally, I favor the playfulness they demonstrate.

-- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton at acm.org <mailto:dennis.hamilton at acm.org>     +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

</orcnote>