[Cryptography] When did zero day attacks become commonplace?

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Fri Dec 12 14:23:48 EST 2014

Back in the mid 1990s, the idea an attacker would hit you with a 'zero-day'
was considered a mythical possibility. Anyone who suggested it might happen
was scaremongering. Then within the space of a few weeks they went from
being unheard of to routine.

I am trying to track down when the transition occurred for a talk. I
remember there being a sharp transition but I can't place when.

These government political cyberattacks seem to be following the same
pattern. I got a lot of criticism for attributing the attack on Comodo to
Iran. Until recently that attack and DigiNotar were still considered to be
outliers.

I think that has just changed.