[Cryptography] Toxic Combination

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Wed Dec 10 20:31:39 EST 2014

In explanation, I offer "Frantz's law": No security protocol
will achieve wide adoption unless it includes a revenue model
which someone can use to build a business.
In explanation for why we have CAs, I offer "Frantz's law": No
security protocol will achieve wide adoption unless it includes
a revenue model which someone can use to build a business.

We can go back to Machiavelli' observation that to introduce a
new way of doing things requires a strong supporter to overcome
the inertia and hostility of all the people doing it the old
way. The profit motive generates strong supporters.

Some may claim that SSH is a counterexample, but in the
beginning, SSH was only available as a software product, and
while it is now universal for sysadmins accessing servers, that
is really a very narrow market in the scheme of things.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | "The only thing we have to   | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | fear is fear itself." - FDR  | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | Inaugural address, 3/4/1933  | Los Gatos,
CA 95032