[Cryptography] Toxic Combination

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:27:24 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn at garlic.com> wrote:
> The CA-industry had a lot of hype about supposed need for branded
> CA institution.
> records were conveyed to the
> CA, where the bits would be swizzled into a digital certificate for
> the small price of $100/account.
> We then went to some Federal LEOs and were told that investment
> bankers were like that.Many of the investment bankers involved
> in the internet bubble IPO mill (put in a few tens millions, hype
> for couple yrs, IPO for couple billion, and then fail, leaving the field
> open for the next round of IPOs), had previous walked away clean from
> the S&L mess and were predicted next to get into mortgages.

First thing I remember thinking about the whole CA cert game
way back years ago when people started thinking they needed
certs, at $100++ per year, as opposed to verified and pinned self
signed for the sites you care about, was... wtf, why?, scam!!!
Turns out, it's actually shaping up to be the greatest internet
swindle of all time. Hook, line, sinker.

Here's another old crony network being exposed and replaced...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABLAc2pEAk
http://imgur.com/50tnTli

[Sure, after all the coins are mined you have to model the
then steady state tranfee and thin client ecosystem, but still.]