[Cryptography] cost-watch - the cost of the Target breach

ianG iang at iang.org
Sun Dec 7 20:37:50 EST 2014

On 6/12/2014 23:42 pm, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2014, at 2:29 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

>> Ross points out (if I recall his comments correctly) that with chip&pin, the burden of proof moves away from the banks, which is why the banks are so hot for chip&pin.
> There's a difference between the British and US legal systems - and always has been.  For years, British banks were successfully able to push liability on to customers (they had their own customers prosecuted for fraud for claiming that withdrawals made using the bank's "completely secure" ATM cards weren't theirs) and merchants.

On that point of bad legal systems supporting the banks which dump
liability, I've just been alerted to this new book from Stephen Mason
who probably knows more about the legal side of this equation than anyone.

When Bank Systems Fail £19.99

Debit Cards, credit cards, ATMs, mobile and online banking: your rights
and what to do when things go wrong

  New Second Edition

Previous edition: Electronic Banking: Your Rights

Paal Øiestad’s credit card was stolen in 2008 in Rome, and over Nok
50,000 taken. The PIN was not written down, because it had been
committed to memory. The bank claimed, without any evidence, that he was
grossly negligent by keeping the PIN with the card. The Norwegian
Complaints Board and the District Court agreed with the bank. Mr Øiestad
was labelled a liar. While waiting for the appeal hearing, the bank
wrote to him in June 2012, admitting it was wrong.

The aim of this book is to help you deal with your bank if anything like
this should happen to you.

The interconnected world of online, mobile and ATMs is a ripe hunting
ground for thieves. Protecting your rights if you are a victim can be
difficult, especially if the banks suspect you have been involved.
Stephen Mason is a renowned expert on electronic evidence. Here for the
first time, he has provided the information and the tools with which to
protect yourself.

http://peerpractice.tarquingroup.com/product.php?SKU_Code=9781858117225