[Cryptography] cryptography Digest, Vol 16, Issue 26

Bear bear at sonic.net
Thu Aug 28 15:33:42 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 15:21 -0400, Peter Trei wrote:

> You can easily modify one to inform you of when its queried:
> http://www.popsci.com/article/diy/ezpass-hack-covert-scanning
>
> ...and it turns out they're queried all over the place, not just at
> tolls. There have been proposals for a 'kill switch' which would
> allow you to disable it except when approaching a toll, but I
> haven't seen that.

I've got one.  It's an envelope lined with copper foil. I get
the pass out when approaching a toll booth, and put it back
(and put the 'chip clip' back on the envelope to ensure that
the foil makes good electrical contact) as I pull away from
the toll booth.

A toggle switch would be nice, but we can be fairly confident
that a Faraday cage is working as designed.

				Bear