[Cryptography] cryptography Digest, Vol 16, Issue 22

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 13:33:29 EDT 2014

Message: 10
> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:34:31 -0700
> From: David Kane-Parry <dkp at ldd.org>

"Nothing impressed me very much and all I discovered was that cryptology
> was an arcane science for bored mathematicians, not for underground
> activists.?
>

> Talking To Vula: The Story of the Secret Underground Communications
> Network of Operation Vula - http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=4693

The FBI cannot crack some pen-and-paper codes.
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/march/cryptanalysis_032911
For short messages, it's probably not that difficult to use a
substitution-permutation network of only two rounds.  And use shorthand as
the alphabetic system. Would definitely reduce entropy.
And use John Young's system of grammar.