[Cryptography] On 40-bit encryption

Bear bear at sonic.net
Fri Aug 22 14:19:08 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 21:49 -0400, Jerry Leichter wrote:

> Oh, but you could check.  Someone form Iran or North Korea trying to
> download the strong build would be required to set the Evil bit on all
> their packets.

Actually, I think the crypto export security theatre was probably
responsible for teaching a huge swathe of the general public what
proxies were and how to use them, who otherwise would never have
bothered.

Because, after all, the procedure for anyone outside the US to
download the 'strong' encryption version of any US product, during
that era, was to go through any proxy server that happened to be
located in the US.

Anyway, it was nuts.  It was a US law that cut the profitability
of US companies by a noticeable percentage, and simultaneously
gave foreign companies an advantage in fielding cryptography
products (and therefore in doing cryptography research and
acquiring cryptography expertise) - at a time when cryptography
was recognized to be important to US defense.  Simultaneously,
foreign citizens were given a free object lesson in the use of
proxies, acquiring yet more skills that the US would probably
have preferred not to be so widespread.  So, yes, the US
was shooting itself in the foot as far as policy is concerned.

			Bear