[Cryptography] GPU farm ideas: Break SHA-1?

David Leon Gil coruus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 00:56:09 EDT 2014

A suggestion:

Carry out Marc Steven's attack and break SHA-1. The estimated complexity of
his attack is 2^62-ish. (A Fermi can do about 2^30 SHA-1 evals / s, and
a GK110 can do > 2^31 / second, IIRC.)

His code and thesis is online at https://code.google.com/p/hashclash

(If you're interested in this area, message me off-list with your GPU
model, and I'll dust off the GPGPU micro-optimizations I have for SHA-1;
they can gain a factor of 1.1x to 2x over, e.g., djb's NearSHA Cuda code,
depending on the GPU. Of course, you may well have better
optimizations in-house given what your company does.)

-dlg