[Cryptography] GPU Farm

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Tue Aug 19 07:03:50 EDT 2014

On 18 Aug 2014 18:26 +0200, from marco.streng at genesis-mining.com (Marco Streng):
> Do you have any interesting idea what to do with the farm? If we
> like the project it we wouldn't hesitate to start directly!

I'm not sure how good contemporary GPUs are at that sort of tasks, but
here's one: Factor RSA-309 or RSA-1024 (your pick).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_numbers#RSA-309

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_numbers#RSA-1024

It's quite a step up from RSA-768, but as pointed out by Tom Ritter in
<CA+cU71=xf9qUCKp=y67YuH3VQBuXQXz9AmdoCtkOfWtfaHR58Q at mail.gmail.com>,
successful factorization of (even a single) 1024-bit semiprime would
be a huge accomplishment that could potentially have far-reaching
implications, perhaps _particularly_ if done in the private sector.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
OpenPGP B501AC6429EF4514 https://michael.kjorling.se/public-keys/pgp