[Cryptography] Cost of remembering a password

Steve Furlong demonfighter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 07:35:01 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <
phill at hallambaker.com> wrote:
> Perhaps if there was a cost penalty for using passwords, designers
> would be more interested in using public key techniques that allow the
> job to be done right.

Cost of remembering a password or of using a CAPTCHA: borne by the users

Cost of designing and building around passwords and CAPTCHAs: borne by the
development team

I've known a bunch of web app developers who would prefer to make things
better. Maybe on their after-hours projects they do. On the commercial and
government web sites I've worked on, the designers may or may not be open
to new ideas, but the managers are all "hurry hurry no time gotta get the
release out NOW!!!"

Even if you could come up with something better that took no extra
development time or other cost, half of the designers and managers would
still reject it, hiding their incomprehension behind "I don't think our
users will like that".

--
Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet. -- Arnaud-Amaury, 1209