[Cryptography] Which big-name ciphers have been broken in living memory?

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Aug 15 16:01:27 EDT 2014

On 15/08/2014 17:13 pm, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 15 Aug 2014 11:37 +0100, from iang at iang.org (ianG):
>> Thanks for the update!  I'm still waiting for someone to report on which
>> big-name algorithm got broken in living memory.
>
> Does the A5 family of ciphers count as having been broken in living
> memory?

Yes.  1997?

But they don't count as being big-name algorithms.

Sadly, the GSM family were weakened by intent.  The business -> threat
-> security modelling of the mobile telephone network included journos,
PIs and free-phone spoofers as attackers;  it did not include spies, and
probably could not even if telcos wanted to.

iang