[Cryptography] A post-spy world

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 12 23:08:25 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014, at 04:23 AM, dan at geer.org wrote:
> John Young
>  | "We are moving toward a post-spy world, according to the guy that
>  | runs the CIA's venture capital arm."
>
> FWIW, I don't run In-Q-Tel, In-Q-Tel isn't a venture firm, and I don't
> recall saying "post-spy" at all.  Full text of the speech is at
> geer.tinho.net/geer.blackhat.6viii14.txt, see for yourselves.

What a weird statement to make (not sure if trolling). From In-Q-
Tel's website:

  "We identify and invest in venture-backed startups developing
  technologies that will provide “ready-soon innovation” (within 36
  months) vital to the intelligence community mission...

  As a strategic investor, our model is unique. Our investments
  accelerate product development and add mission-critical capabilities
  with the sole purpose of delivering these cutting-edge technologies to
  IC end users quickly and efficiently."

> In the meantime, tell me if PPD-28 would be satisfied were an
> artificial semi-intelligence doing the searches rather than humans.
> What if surveillance data was mined not by people who could go to jail
> but by self-modifying programs that co-evolve with the subject of the
> surveillance.

Is it a police beating still called a police beating if the police shut
their eyes while lashing out?

If decisions or recordings are being made about my data, and not by my
service providers, then my data is being surveilled. Regardless of
whether it was done by a human or a computer.

Alfie

--
  Alfie John
  alfiej at fastmail.fm