[Cryptography] Dumb question -> 3AES?

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:27:23 EDT 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM, Dan McDonald <danmcd at kebe.com> wrote:

> I'm less worried about the AES algorithm being broken (and yes, I
> understand
> about 3des's effective key strength) as I am against Moore's law (and yes,
> also understand that the 9nm node may be the last one using current
> technologies) and long periods of time.

If that's all you're worried about, you can relax. keylength.com estimates
(in broad strokes) that becoming a problem for AES-256 around the year 2200.

You should be much more worried about a cryptanalysis of AES. AES is not
proven secure, but rather relies on the fact that nobody presently knows
how to break AES for security.

As Natanael said, you could combine AES and some other cipher for added
security. Two stream ciphers can be combined into a product cipher which is
provably at least as strong as the strongest of the two.

--
Tony Arcieri