[Cryptography] All dice are loaded?

Dan McDonald danmcd at kebe.com
Thu Aug 7 20:10:17 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 07:21:25AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
<SNIP!>
> I reported this in the "quirky" column in a respected Australian newspaper
> (search smh.com.au for "Column 8" and "dice" for 6th August; I couldn't
> get the URL for the page itself other than an ugly search expression) and
> today it got followed up.
>
> It seems that someone actually did the experiment back in 1966, with about
> 10,000 rolls, and found a "statistically significant" bias in favour of
> "6" being uppermost.
>
> Hmmm...  Granted, it probably belongs in the "tin foil" category, but it's
> interesting nonetheless.

If a die (or d6 for you D&D types) starts off as a uniform cube, it would
make sense 6 comes up slightly more.  It's the side with the least amount of
weight (6 cuts on the side).  The other side of 6 is 1, which has one cut on
the side, and has slightly more mass.

The question is how "statistically significant" those cuts are.

Dan