[Cryptography] "The Visual Microphone: Passive Recovery of Sound from Video"

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Tue Aug 5 00:13:05 EDT 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 12:02 AM, Christian Huitema <huitema at huitema.net> wrote:
> Everything leaks.  Film a bag of chips through a soundproof window, decode
> its
>> vibrations to listen to what's being said in the room.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXOucXB4a8
>>
>> I'll bet you could go a pretty good job of decoding keyclicks from a
>> "secure" room this way.
>
> Very nice demo, but it requires a really high speed camera -- Nyquist and
> all that.
Did you watch through to the end?  Starting at around 3 minutes in, they show how to use artifacts due to shutter motion to recover sound reasonably well using a standard camera - frequencies 5 times the frame rate of the camera.  The Nyquist Theorem is a valid result about Fourier transforms, but its real-world application can be subtle.
                                                        -- Jerry