[Cryptography] ADMIN: Periodic reminder about top posting

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Aug 3 03:55:55 EDT 2014

Tamzen Cannoy <tamzen at cannoy.org> writes:

>[Top-posting reminder]

Hopefully this won't hijack the conversation too much, but I had a
coincidental talk about this yesterday with a non-geek friend who mixes with
lots of geeks.  She mentioned that the style of conversation used here, quoted
excerpts and short passages as replies, are very much the exception for email
exchanges.  The only place she's ever seen it used is by geeks.  The norm for
all other people (that she's aware of, obviously it's not a sample of the
entire world) is to include the entire message at the bottom (nested
arbitrarily deep), and have the reply at the top.  Your mail reader then
formats it as required.

This came as something of a surprise to me.

Peter.