[Cryptography] GCC bug 30475 (was Re: bounded pointers in C)

Bear bear at sonic.net
Thu Apr 24 19:43:57 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 18:06 -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> specs, we don't specify what the result will be.
>
> I want a compiler that says: when you go outside the specs, we'll
> catch it and tell you (the language can help or hinder this).  The
> market seems to disagree (John Gilmore has pointed this out).

Such a compiler would be a very specialized product, but I believe
that it would be useful and extraordinarily valuable to some subset
of programmers.  I have certainly searched for it before now.

But as far as I know, there is absolutely no compiler in which every
instance of "implementation-defined" or "undefined" is translated as
"stop the compiler immediately with an error message."

If someone knows of such a C or C++ compiler I would be glad to
pay good money for it.

			Bear