[Cryptography] swap needed, or not

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Wed Apr 23 17:01:44 EDT 2014

The theory is that swap allows certain situations that would have
ended with a process crashing instead end with the process completely
successfully. In my experience that's not the main effect. Instead,
what happens is that the situation still ends with a process crashing,
but only after many minutes of disk grinding (vm thrashing). I've just
habitually disabled swap on all my linux systems for at least a decade
now, whether workstations, servers, or laptops. Works fine. —Zooko