[Cryptography] LibreSSL (was Re:  bounded pointers in C)

tpb-crypto at laposte.net tpb-crypto at laposte.net
Tue Apr 22 15:55:34 EDT 2014

> Message du 22/04/14 21:47
> De : "Stephan Neuhaus"
> On 2014-04-22, 06:56, Nemo wrote:
> > http://www.libressl.org/
>
> That web page says "At the moment we are too busy deleting and rewriting
> code to make a decent web page", which implies, or at east suggests to
> me, that this project will be reusing OpenSSL's architecture.
>
> I think that if you want to make something that's substantially better
> than OpenSSL, it would be a good idea to stop for a moment and think of
> how you want your library to be used. I doubt that if you tried to
> design an SSL/TLS API from the API user's point of view, something like
> OpenSSL would come out. So why not make a clean-slate design, steal
> those parts of OpenSSL that you can (the basic crypto algorithms,
> probably) and reinvent and rewrite the rest?

The problem of a clean slate is that we have thousands of programs which depend on OpenSSL's API the way it is.

The goal of LibreSSL is to create a library that is compatible with OpenSSL minus the bad code.

According to Theo after 90000 lines of code removed so far all OpenBSD programs that depend on it continue compiling.