[Cryptography] Are dynamic libs compatible with security? was: Apple and OpenSSL

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Apr 22 14:53:41 EDT 2014

On 4/21/14 at 7:02 PM, billstewart at pobox.com (Bill Stewart) wrote:

>It lets you use O(N) RAM instead of O(N*M), for the running programs,
>and also O(N) disk instead of O(N*D) for the D programs on disk.
>In either case, you don't actually need M or D copies of the
>entire GNOME libraries, just the parts of the library
>collection each program is using, but it's large enough to
>matter even today.

I'm not sure the memory advantage of sharing library code
overcomes the disadvantages described elsewhere in this thread
with modern systems. Even when I consider my Raspberry Pi
system, it has 512 meg of memory divided between the video card
part of the SoC and the Arm processor portion. If I have 50 meg
of shared library, that's less than 10% and might be a cheap
price to pay for software stability.

Does anyone have any information on how much sharing actually
takes place?

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        |The nice thing about standards| Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      |is there are so many to choose| 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |from.   - Andrew Tanenbaum    | Los Gatos,
CA 95032