[Cryptography] It's all K&R's fault

Chris Tonkinson chris at masterbran.ch
Tue Apr 22 07:01:48 EDT 2014

> Me and a few friends tried to create a JavaOS a few years ago and it
> was awful. Too many abstraction layers.

> Brace yourself for decades of OSes made in C ahead.

You don't think Go, Rust, or one of these newcomers could fill the gap,
once matured?

> People once were content with a terminal, now you got retina displays, sound cards with stereo surround 5.1 7.1, dozens of optical formats, hundreds of usb devices, digital cameras, ... it is an undertaking requiring lots of money and a daring entrepreneur.

The desktop computing platform is just as "slow" now as it was in 1990
for exactly this reason. We seen orders of magnitude gains in
processing, storage, and [both memory and network] bandwidth since then,
but we're still thumb-twiddling for the same order of magnitude of
wall-clock-time on boot or opening a word processor.

It's Parkinson's Law.