[Cryptography] bounded pointers in C

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Apr 21 18:15:51 EDT 2014

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Nemo wrote:

> This is getting increasingly off-topic, and I need to get back to
> work... But this is simply not true.

By my recollection (going back to the PDP-11 days) is that an int has to
be able to hold a pointer (a dreadful mistake, IMHO), and a long has to be
at least the size of an int; oh, and a char had to be at least the size of
a byte.  Fun times, swapping programs between the Cyber and the PDP...
Great fun, for certain definitions of fun, that is.

> > Assuming there are no other modes, I conclude that long ints are large
> > enough to hold pointers, period.
>
> As a general statement, your conclusion is incorrect.
>
> "Learn your tools" is a good general principle, in my ever-humble
> opinion.

I'd like to see your counter-example.

-- Dave