[Cryptography] Apple and OpenSSL

tpb-crypto at laposte.net tpb-crypto at laposte.net
Mon Apr 21 10:34:38 EDT 2014

> Message du 19/04/14 07:14
> De : "Ben Laurie"
>
> On 19 April 2014 01:35, Jerry Leichter  wrote:
> > Be aware that this is a strongly pro-Apple site, and that comes through plainly in the article. Still, it's an interesting history of how one company has been dealing with the issue of crypto software.
> >
> > http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/04/18/how-apple-dodged-the-heartbleed-bullet
>
> "Building its own security software meant that Apple and its
> developers were no longer captive to the external development issues
> and eccentricities related to the OpenSSL open source project, which
> despite its critical importance and broad use by the industry, was
> being funded through donations and was, incredibly, maintained by a
> very small team of just four core developers."
>
> "Incredible". How could Apple have possibly helped with that? I can't imagine.

Apple executives think that any help they give to the open source community will help their competitors to get an edge over Apple. Yet Apple executives don't have qualms to get the competitors' collaborative work and put in their products.

Much like it happened in the 80's, now the only way Apple will go is down.

In an environment where collaboration is fundamental, free riders will inevitably be left alone to die.