[Cryptography] Just turn off C-optimization?

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:09:03 EDT 2014

[Merging the C threads]

Perhaps we could reduce errors by simply turning of optimization in
the C compilers? If the optimizer does not do the right thing then I
don't want it used. And the semantics of C make it next to impossible
to get the optimizer right.

Since we are doing security code I would much rather the code was
right than fast.

Alternatively writing a set of string handling, memory management etc
routines that can be compiled without the optimizer and linked from
the rest of the crypto code.

I am trying to work out how we get to somewhere we can work
productively in a language that does not have a run time dependency.
Right now that means C (and possibly Objective C?). I can't use a
language like Erlang or C# to produce code that I am going to link as
a library in other languages like Perl, Erlang, etc.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/