[Cryptography] Simpler programs?

Viktor Dukhovni cryptography at dukhovni.org
Fri Apr 18 01:02:09 EDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 01:13:25PM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >For example, I once saw a  T-shirt at a Usenix conference that read "Real
> >cats don't have options" and checking the Plan 9 man page for cat(1) I find
> >that theirs has none. The FSF version on my Linux box, on the other hand, has
> >11.
>
> I counted twelve.  For cat.

And "cat -v" on my machine determines what's non-printable based
on the LANG environment variable, but does not actually correctly
handle multi-byte UTF-8 input, so with LANG != "C" the results are
simply wrong.  So the fancy options are not even always implemented
correctly.

> I think this is another sign that it's time to
> tear down civilisation and let the ants have a go.

The ants were doing a fine job of tearing down Irvine Calornia when
I was there.

--
	Viktor.