[Cryptography] I don't get it.

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Thu Apr 17 22:53:09 EDT 2014

> Also, who is going to spend 3x the processing time just because their SSL
> library might be borked? Where do you stop? Three different SSL libraries,
> three different compression libraries, three different operating systems,
> three different processors, etcetera.

Me! And this might indeed be a good validation tactic for other softwares
too. CPU's are not feasible, who watches the watchmen? Same goes for
hydra-softwares.

> However, it might be nice to keep the idea in mind when designing new
> protocols: How can we support redundancy through multiple outputs, and how
> do you deal with upgrades and evolution of the protocol. Additionally, it
> might be applicable when verifying existing implementations. Also, in some
> scenarios the investment of redundancy could be actually worth it. This is
> also related to the idea of defence in depth. Ideally you wouldn't want to
> just run 3 different SSL libraries, but also do something like e.g. layer
> an SSL VPN on top of IPSec.

Yeah, I really don't want a double excessively complicated stack. I just
want the mathematics that I trust, as purely as they can be, as robustly
and simply as they can be. For me, running the same equation using two
different approaches is a decent way to verify results, same goes for this.

I think SSL is too complicated though. Performance seems to be the mayor
factor, and I don't think that's sane.