[Cryptography] Preliminary review of the other Applied Cryptography

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Apr 14 22:18:10 EDT 2014

On 4/14/14 at 3:02 AM, guido at witmond.nl (Guido Witmond) wrote:

>I wonder how big a problem this is, most of the jet-set already have
>VPN-tunnels to their corporate back office. Or they tether using their
>smart phone, routing around the broken portal.

I certainly use my phone when the local WiFi gets too obnoxious.

>In my limited hotel-hopping experience, the more expensive the hotel,
>the more likely to see crappy portals. Cheap hotels just give you their
>guest password.

The best experiences I have had were in out-of-the-way places.
Newfoundland and Labrador were quite nice. I think there was
even one WiFi that didn't have a password.

In the US they seem to want to have you agree to their terms of
service. But it is really an excuse to direct you through their
web page. I wonder what they are collecting there.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Security is like Government  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | services. The market doesn't | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | want to pay for them.        | Los Gatos,
CA 95032