[Cryptography] Preliminary review of the other Applied Cryptography

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Apr 14 00:28:28 EDT 2014

=?windows-1252?Q?Joachim_Str=F6mbergson?= <Joachim at Strombergson.com> writes:

>And he really doesn't like DNSSEC.

It's not because I find DNSSEC personally offensive or anything, but because
(and this is a very, very cut-down version of the longer reasoning in the
book) it's a huge amount of effort that achieves almost nothing.  As I point
out in the book, if you could wave a magic wand right now and get DNSSEC
deployed globally, only the good guys would notice (lots of breakage,
slowdowns, attack amplification, etc).  The bad guys (phishing, spam, 419'ers)
wouldn't even notice, because it doesn't counter anything they're doing.  If
you're going to expend that much effort then put it into something that will
at least be a speedbump for the phishers and whatnot.

Peter.