[Cryptography] E-government service outage from HeartBleed

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Thu Apr 10 03:51:15 EDT 2014

Quote from the home page of Canadian tax authority
(http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/)

=== beginning of quote ===
CRA update regarding the Heartbleed Bug - Wednesday, April 9, 3pm

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) places first priority on ensuring the
confidentiality of taxpayer information.

After learning late yesterday afternoon about the Internet security
vulnerability named the Heartbleed Bug that is affecting systems around
the world, the CRA acted quickly, as a preventative measure, to
temporarily shut down public access to our online services to safeguard
the integrity of the information we hold. Applications affected include
online services like EFILE, NETFILE, My Account, My Business Account and
Represent a Client.

We are currently working on a remedy for restoring online services and,
at this time, anticipate that services will resume over the weekend.

The CRA recognizes that this problem may represent a significant
inconvenience for individual Canadians who count on the CRA for online
information and services.

Recognizing this, the Minister of National Revenue has confirmed that
individual taxpayers will not be penalized for this service interruption.

We continue to investigate any potential impacts to taxpayer
information, and to be fully engaged in resolving this matter and
restoring online services as soon as possible in a manner that ensures
the private information of Canadians remains safe and secure.

We will provide further information and daily updates at 3PM EDT on our
home page.
=== end of quote ===