[Cryptography] The Heartbleed Bug is a serious vulnerability in OpenSSL

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Tue Apr 8 13:12:25 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 11:46:49AM +0100, ianG wrote:
> While everyone's madly rushing around to fix their bits&bobs, I'd
> encouraged you all to be alert to any evidence of *damages* either
> anecdotally or more firm.  By damages, I mean (a) rework needed to
> secure, and (b) actual breach into sites and theft of secrets, etc,
> leading to (c) theft of property/money/value etc.

[[...]]

> E.g., if we cannot show any damages from this breach, it isn't worth
> spending a penny on it to fix!

This analysis appears to say that it's not worth spending money to
fix a hole (bug) unless either money has already been spent or damages
have *already* occured.  This ignores possible or probable (or even
certain!) *future* damages if no rework has yet happened.

This seems like a flawed risk analysis to me.

In particular, this analysis could be used to argue against spending any
money trying to reduce risk or damages from rare events which haven't
happened yet.  For example, as of January 1, 2011 (= 69 days before the
Fukushima Daiichi disaster), this analysis would have said that since no
nuclear reactor in the world has ever been damaged by a tsunami (a true
statement on that date), it isn't worth spending any money trying to
secure nuclear reactors against tsunami damage.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA