[Cryptography] Fwd: [messaging] Announcing the EFF Crypto Usability Prize (EFF CUP) Workshop, July 9

Zooko Wilcox-OHearn zooko at leastauthority.com
Tue Apr 1 21:48:29 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joseph Bonneau <jbonneau at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Subject: [messaging] Announcing the EFF Crypto Usability Prize (EFF
CUP) Workshop, July 9
To: messaging <messaging at moderncrypto.org>

Of possible interest to many on this list, the EFF is hoping to offer
a prize for the most usable end-to-end encrypted communication tool
this year. This is still in the early stage of planning but we have
set aside a one-day workshop on July 9 in Menlo Park, CA to discuss
and debate the process for awarding the prize. The workshop is
attached to SOUPS, the biggest event for academic usability
researchers interested in security, so for security-minded folks this
is a great way to get in touch with UI experts.

As a co-organizer I'd be interested to hear ideas on the best
structure to adopt for the workshop. I'd also encourage anybody
interested in participating more to submit an abstract on a talk
they'd like to give at the workshop (due date is May 15 so lots of
time to think about ideas until then).

Full details below.

Cheers,

Joe

2014 EFF Crypto Usability Prize (EFF CUP) Workshop

CALL FOR PAPERS

Submission Deadline: May 15, 2014, 5pm PDT
Notification Deadline: May 30, 2014 5pm PDT
Anonymization: Papers are NOT to be anonymized
Length: 500 words
Formatting: PDF
Submission site: email to effcup at eff.org
Workshop Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2014

SCOPE AND FOCUS

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is evaluating the feasibility of
offering a prize for the first secure, private end-to-end encrypted
communication tool. There is currently tremendous interest in this
area, with several dozen new projects trying to make encrypted email,
instant messaging, text messaging, VOIP and video chat a reality. It
is not yet clear which of these tools is best-suited to meet
real-world usability challenges.

We believe a prize based on objective usability metrics might be an
effective way to determine which project or projects are best
delivering communication security to vulnerable user communities; to
promote and energize those tools; and to encourage interaction between
developers, interaction designers and academics interested in this
space.

The EFF CUP workshop aims both to establish suitable metrics and
criteria for the prize, and to introduce developers working on open
source encryption tools (likely contestants) to the privacy and
security research community. EFF CUP will be held in conjunction with
the Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS) in July 2014 in
Menlo Park, CA. We are seeking talk abstracts and position papers on
the following topics:

USABILITY AND SECURITY METRICS: Holding an open competition for secure
communication tools is a new undertaking and requires new thinking
about measuring security and usability tools. We are seeking position
papers on what metrics can be used to most objectively evaluate
quality, including:

*Security metrics: Identifying the types of attacks that at-risk
groups (journalists, activists, lawyers) are subject to, and how we
can reliably measure the resistance which cryptographic communications
tools provide.
*Indirect usability metrics: Metrics which can be evaluated
analytically, such as backwards compatibility with existing tools,
integration into existing tools, or demonstrated adoption by N million
users.
*Direct usability metrics: Metrics which can be evaluated through user
studies, such as the percentage of users who can quickly start using a
tool and survive various classes of real-world attack.

CURRENT TOOL SUMMARIES: Developers of secure end-to-end communication
tools are invited to submit a short (100-500 word) abstract describing
their project. We aim to have a series of short presentations
(followed by discussion) on the state of various projects, including a
description of the project's security and usability goals, current
development status, installed user base and supported platforms, known
usability challenges and vulnerabilities, and experiences (if any)
with user testing.

EXPERIENCE FROM PAST CONTESTS: Organizers or competitors from other
technology contests, particularly but not exclusively in the areas of
security and/or usability, are invited to submit a short (500 word)
abstract describing lessons from those contests. We aim to have a
series of short presentations including a brief overview of past
contest's goals, setup and rules, and outcomes. Example competitions
may include cryptographic primitive competitions (eg. AES, ESTREAM,
SHA3, PHC), Darpa contests, Capture the Flag contests, Crack Me If You
Can, VoComp or the Netflix Prize.

ORGANIZERS

Lorrie Faith Cranor,
Associate Professor of Computer Science and of Engineering and Public
Policy at Carnegie Mellon University, Director of the CyLab Usable
Privacy and Security Laboratory (CUPS). Member, Electronic Frontier
Foundation Board of Directors.

Peter Eckersley,
Technology Projects Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Joseph Bonneau,
Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Information Technology Policy,
Princeton University