[Cryptography] TLS/DTLS Use Cases

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Apr 1 17:45:06 EDT 2014

On 4/1/14 at 2:39 PM, rsalz at akamai.com (Salz, Rich) wrote:

>>I would like to have some for DTLS as well, DTLS applies cryptography to UDP. It seems that DNS
>might be a good candidate, but can encryption even help DNS privacy?
>
>DNS isn't a great example because you don't care about replay or message re-ordering.

With UDP you don't get either message ordering or "deliver once"
semantics. At that level it is all DIY. Most people who need
these features and DIY reinvent a poor version of TCP.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | Truth and love must prevail  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | over lies and hate.          | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |               - Vaclav Havel | Los Gatos,
CA 95032