[Cryptography] Study Suggests Link Between Dread Pirate Roberts and Satoshi Nak

rverbalkent at aol.com rverbalkent at aol.com
Wed Nov 27 16:25:35 EST 2013

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/27/technology/bitcoin-silk-road/

NEW  YORK (CNNMoney)
After suggesting earlier this week that a link existed between the
creators of _Silk Road and Bitcoin_
(http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/25/technology/bitcoin-silk-road/index.html?iid=EL) , two Israeli computer  researchers have
retracted their _report_
(http://i.cdn.turner.com/money/2013/images/11/25/silk-road-paper.pdf?iid=EL) .
The academic report had suggested that Satoshi Nakamoto, the
yet-unidentified creator of virtual currency Bitcoin, gave an unusually large  sum of
money to someone known as Dread Pirate Roberts, founder of the online  black
market Silk Road
However, the person accused of sending the money to the Silk Road founder
turned out to be Dustin Trammell, a tech-savvy libertarian in Austin, Texas.
In  actuality, he sent it to Mt. Gox, a Bitcoin exchange. Trammell said
he's  communicated by email with the famous Satoshi, but that's it.
"Unless I have split personalities and this is Fight Club, I definitely  am
not Satoshi Nakamoto," Trammell recently wrote on his _blog_
(http://blog.dustintrammell.com/2013/11/26/i-am-not-satoshi/#more-386) .
_Related: Bitcoin prices top $1,000_
(http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/27/investing/bitcoin-1000/index.html?iid=EL)
The Weizmann Science Institute researchers, Dorit Ron and Adi Shamir,
admitted that they were wrong, even though they said the link was merely a
theory.
"Now that a better explanation exists, we no longer believe that the
[account] belonged to Satoshi," the researchers said in an email.
In his blog, Trammell denied having any connection to Silk Road, saying  he
made the large transfer of money to himself. That wouldn't be odd, given
that  Bitcoin users often keep multiple digital wallets.
But the man that federal authorities have arrested and accused of
launching Silk Road, Ross Ulbricht, is from Austin too. Given the folklore
surrounding Bitcoin and Silk Road, get ready for rumors that Trammell is Satoshi
hiding in plain sight.
(http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/27/technology/bitcoin-silk-road/?iid=EL#TOP)