[Cryptography] Study Suggests Link Between Dread Pirate Roberts and Satos...

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Tue Nov 26 15:19:51 EST 2013

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, rverbalkent at aol.com wrote:

> Hello Group
>
> My name is Rocky and I am very new to this forum and cryptography. I admit
> much of the conversations go over my head here by I find them extremely
> interesting and hope in the future I will catch up.
>
> I just have a few questions from the "link between Dreaded Pirate Roberts
> and Satoshi Nakamoto" NY TIMES article
>
> I remember reading a headline in the past suggesting that Gorge Zimmerman
> and his wife were talking in Code over the phone about contributions made
> for  his defense, where 1 dollar 5 dollar and 10 dollar were to represent some
> much  larger number as he was claiming no funds for a lawyer.
>
> if there was another person working with "Dreaded Pirate Roberts" couldn't
> they have a back up version of his Wallet.Dat File and regardless if one of
> his  computers was seized, from the time of this arrest- couldn't another
> person  have uploaded this file into a wallet Draining out the account within
> the  time from the computer taken to any successful crack?
>
> Since the article references the possible use of a second computer.
>
> Also about the why Johnny Cant Encrypt. there is a very user friendly IPAD
> app called IPG Mail that seems to even stream line the retail use of PGP
> type  style Mail.

If IPG Mail really is easy to use, that is good to hear.  Of
course encryption can be made easy to use, and many people who
today are discouraged will look back in a few years with
amusement at how wrong they were to be discouraged.  The main
block to wide use of end to end encrypted communications over our
Net is lack of funding.  Having a working prototype, perhaps like
IPG Mail in its user intercation, will encourage efforts.

But an encrypt/decrypt program running on a device which is
controlled by Apple is not secure against Apple reading all the
keys, and all the messages.

Here is what I wrote a few years on the subject:

     from="another post on another list,
           rhetorical question">

    Apple is the owner of just about every iPhone and every iPad
    being carried about by individuals who paid money to Apple to
    carry the device out of the store.  Except that Apple does not
    own the devices that have been modified so that the person who
    carries the device has root on the device.  Those few devices are
    not owned by Apple.

    The issue is not "the degree of openness of the iPad" nor is it
    even "whether Apple is being unfair to developers/those who carry
    an iPad".  Today, most discussions in newspapers and magazines of
    such "issues" serve only to obscure the fact of the matter: Apple
    owns just about very iPad, and Apple intends to keep ownership of
    every iPad it can.  So the answer to your question

       who the hell are Apple to tell me what I can or can't run on my
       iPhone

    is simple: Apple is the owner of the device.  If you wish to
    control the device you carry, then do not pay Apple just so you
    can carry an iPad/iPhone out of the store, or pay Apple and get
    root on the device.

    If we are going to keep our right to own a computer, then we must
    teach newspaper reporters, and also users of iPads/iPhones, the
    difference between owning a computer and carrying around a
    computer owned by an arm of the Englobulators.

oo--JS.