[Cryptography] Explaining PK to grandma

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 08:08:19 EST 2013

I think everyone is barking up the wrong tree here.

How do you explain how the car works to gran? You don't because she never
thought to ask. All she knows is that you stick liquid in one end and it
burns to make the engine go. Gran probably thinks that it is some sort of
steam engine in there.

These explanations are tantamount to explaining to her how a carburetor
works or the details of the differential.

Thats why I am hiding the details of my scheme:

gran at example.com

"It tries to send the message encrypted."

G: "What if I want to be sure?"

?gran at example.com

"It won't go unless it can be encrypted."

G: "How does it know how to do that."

"It asks the broker how to do it."

G: "I don't trust my broker, that stock he sold me was a dud"

ADAEXA-G4UKAN-UADASXA-JQAGBS-XAA?gran at example.com

"This tells the system how to check the instructions."

G: "Looks complicated."

"You just cut and paste."

G: "How do I do that again?"