[Cryptography] HTTP should be deprecated.

Alex Stanford ahstanford at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 16:59:36 EST 2013

Hi Lewis,

Thanks for reaching out.

I feel terrible about security and data integrity in America, but also
in the world as a whole.

We have thoroughly explored Canada and Europe as options for our HQ and
infrastructure. Problem is, my research shows that very few first-world
countries are even remotely outside the reach of the USG.Sure America
has the Patriot Act and National Securtiy Letters to worry about, but I
don't think a lack of these options will stop the USG from obtaining
data they want.

What we've done is bring extreme awareness of InfoSec to the table.
Every step of the way we work to find the best solution using readily
available technology. Is it perfect or ideal? Hardly. But we think it
better to do our best than to throw our hands up in the air.

Here are 10 quick examples of measures we take that I could think up for
you on the spot:

1) Isolation testing for shared/virtualized environments
2) Very minimalistic logging, and for very minimalistic period of time
3) "Scorched earth" prepared (whether it be a natural disaster or an
overreaching NSL, we have plans on how to make our infrastructure
disappear and reappear... elsewhere -- in far off jurisdictions if
necessary.)
4) An International staff that won't come to a halt even if my US staff
was "compromised".
5) PGP email, private XMPP, SilentDesktop, TextSecure and RedPhone
contact support for customers with severe privacy concerns (at no extra
cost, just ask)
6) Privatized IPMI for servers (on a private VLAN and IP restricted --
not public, which would be a clear hole for the USG)
7) An owner who isn't afraid to stand up for what's right, even if it
means personal sacrifices.
8) Every member of our staff is trained and tested regularly on social
engineering awareness and resilience
9) Internally we avoid "the cloud" or at least always have a secure
alternative and the awareness/diligence of knowing when to use which.
10) We pen test our own software and infrastructure regularly and have
rigorous daily routines regarding the update of software and reviewing
the latest vulnerabilities.

In short, we work to be very vigilant about privacy and security, it is
at the core of our business. That said, it is not our goal to harbor
criminals. In the case of a valid warrant (one that doesn't violate
rights and has gone through the proper transparent process -- e.g. not
an NSL) for a specific user who is clearly breaking laws, we will turn
over relevant information. In these cases, we notify the client before
turning over the information. It's mass surveillance and/or a lack of
due (and fair) process which we will not participate. We see sensitive
things like anonymous journalism, human rights activists, etc. as
perfect use cases for our infrastructure.

We think that having trust in the people in charge of the infrastructure
is more important than the jurisdiction.

Of course, our upstream providers (PEER1 [a Canadian company fwiw] or
their upstream providers) could potentially cooperate with tapping of
the pipes without us knowing. Our attempt at mitigation is making SSL
extremely affordable to our customers (we have the lowest consumer rates
in the world on trusted EV certs, at least that I know of), managing the
private keys with extreme paranoia and offering managed implementation
of PFS for clients who need it.

Could we provide more security/privacy? We perpetually believe so, and
we're always working to make it happen.

Kind regards,
Alex