[Cryptography] Looking for feedback on new Java crypto library

Max Kington mkington at webhanger.com
Wed Nov 13 02:31:27 EST 2013

On 13 Nov 2013 00:33, "Steve Weis" <steveweis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi James. Have you checked out Keyczar? It has similar goals and Google
has been maintaining it for use in some Android libraries:
> https://code.google.com/p/keyczar/
>
> One main difference I see on quick inspection is that JACS uses
InputStream and OutputStream interfaces and derives keys from user-entered
passwords. Keyczar works on ByteBuffers, byte[], and String inputs, and
handles key versioning and rotation. Plus, it has been ported to Python and
C++.

Why would you use this over bouncycastle? Which is well established and
examined and incredibly complete. Not to mention cross platform.

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM, James Yonan <james at openvpn.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm releasing a new open source Java library that focuses on encryption
of files and streams in a way that tries to integrate current crypto
best-practices with a foolproof API, while building on the existing Java
Cryptography Extension (JCE).