[Cryptography] HTTP should be deprecated.

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Tue Nov 12 00:25:22 EST 2013

A few things are pretty clear:

* Whether or not everything should be HTTPS, clearly more should be.
* HTTPS has lots of problems and doesn't solve everything.
* HTTPS breaks some kinds of caching, and doesn't affect others.
* CDNs charge waaayyyy more to serve your data as HTTPS. This affects the
behavior of institutions that use CDNs.
* Google and others are backing SPDY as the next HTTP 2.0, which would have
TLS on for all traffic. Google cares about performance and efficiency more
than anyone else on the Web, and they think TLS is just fine. SPDY/HTTP2 is
built to extend the Web with lots of different performance gains.

HTTP2 being all-TLS would effectively deprecate HTTP in favor of HTTPS. I
think this is where the Web is going, and we should look at whatever
downsides that would cause and start addressing them now.

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>