[Cryptography] randomness +- entropy

David Johnston dj at deadhat.com
Fri Nov 8 16:01:58 EST 2013

On 11/7/2013 11:08 AM, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> The smartphone and the embedded system are*very*  different.  Any phone has a microphone and a radio.  Unfortunately, the radios are usually sealed off so you couldn't use them as a source of radio noise; but the microphones are wide open.
I disagree about the 'sealed-off' thing.

I have championed the use of the radio as an entropy source in several
wireless product developments. Most wireless modems have a symbol error
vector register that is trivial to read. I have never found it to be a
technical problem. The problem lays in having the right engineers aware
of the need.