[Cryptography] randomness +- entropy

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Tue Nov 5 22:14:16 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:38:32AM +0100, Hannes Frederic Sowa wrote:

> Why not always print a warning once if someone tried to extract
> randomness before the pool was fully initialized? I would even consider
> adding a WARN_ONCE there so that it is really visible to the user. Maybe
> kernelooops.org or some other distro infrastructure could uncover which
> devices have their nonblocking random pool initialized too late.

What, you mean like this?

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tytso/random.git/commit/?h=dev&id=392a546dc8368d1745f9891ef3f8f7c380de8650

Actually, things aren't too bad.  The primary problematical caller
that I noted was:

random: rc80211_minstrel_ht_init+0x2b/0x6a get_random_bytes called with 23 bits of entropy available

... however, this looks like it's not a security problem, since as
near as I can tell the code in question doesn't actually need
cryptographic randomness.  It simply dates back to before
prandum_u32() existed in the kernel.  (We have a similar use case in
ext4, where we're we only need a PRNG, and not a CSRNG.  Although
fortunately, by the time the file system is remounted r/w, urandom is
typically already initialized, so we're not actually triggering this
warning.)

Regards,

						- Ted